How to win
(in one paragraph)
Add management is the hardest part of this fight – master that and you win.
- Dodge flame pillars. If you stack all but one player up with the melee dps, that player can control flame pillar placement.
- Snare, kite, and optionally kill the groups of worms. AOE snares are your friend.
- Run out of half-the-room fire breaths. If stacking on the melee, return to your original position once the breath is over.
- Magmaw will chew on the tank – heal through it.
- Two (25 man: 3) melee dps should ‘board’ his head (it’s a vehicle) as soon as possible and throw chains (the vehicle’s only ability) at the spike on the ground in front of him. Do this until you are kicked out of the vehicle and enter phase 2.
- Dps Magmaw’s head as fast as possible. Save all cooldowns, including Heroism, for this phase.
- Switch tanks when he returns to phase 1 – the chew-toy will have an armor debuff.
Continue reading for more specifics…
- Flame pillars are preceded by a small patch of fire on the ground. It can be hard to see under healing circles and groups of people. Using a single player as pillar bait helps immensely with this.
- Worms spawn immediately after each flame pillar, in the same spot as the pillar.
- Worms obey normal threat rules and chase their target. If they reach you, they apply a dot and spawn another worm – don’t let this happen.
- Snare the worms as soon as they spawn. One ranged dps (or a frost dk) should be responsible for the snare, establishing and holding threat, and kiting.
- 10 man raids should kill the worms, as kiting removes 1/5th of your dps. In 25 man, permanently kiting all worms as they spawn is much more viable.
- Melee dps may help on worms once initial threat is established by the kiter, provided they never pull aggro. Use Tricks/Misdirect on the kiter to help with this.
- Tanks can still hit Magmaw’s head while being chewed on. Good for generating rage for cooldowns, Death Strike, and Word of Glory heals.
- Both players on his head should throw chains as soon/often as possible. If one player throws too slowly, you may not enter phase 2.
- If you are killing worms, ensure that they are dead by phase 2.
- Phase 2 contains no incoming damage, unless someone gets hit by a worm. DPS can ignore threat, and healers can regen mana.
- The transition back to phase 1 resets threat.